Thursday, April 21, 2022

It's Too Hot To Go Out Today...Let's Stay In


I was searchin' for a poem about how sexy sweat is at times, and sometimes I click on one that is in my scroll but ends up not really havin' anything to do with what I intended to find, and rarely do I end up usin' them, but this one, this one was too good not to share...it gave me a creepy feelin' of course, but it was deeper than that, because you realize we have probably all walked by or even talked to a person who has done this ghastly deed in our lifetimes, right? I love goin' to the lake, but this poem will always make me think of how this narrator makes their plans...

My Trip To The Lake

Hounds prowl beneath a cold-blooded moon.
Torchbearers cross the levee in unions of two,
Each boasting of the mischief he’ll do.
Ghosts follow hard in Lucifer’s tracks.
Hell’s dignitaries, slipping through cracks in the night,
Prepare to hold a premature wake
On the evening of my trip to the Lake.

Dark cypress stand in tidewater flood.
Grim reaper drags his scythe through the mud as he moans
An orphan’s curse on Old Stingy Bones.
Cruel chatter where the demons commune,
Hoarse chorus chants the tune to a funeral march.
In a nervous sweat my hands start to shake
As I think about my trip to the Lake.

Lights out and with curtains all drawn 
I pretend I’m not home,
Silent in my chimney corner.
I’ll wait till the mob passes on, 
Sipping bourbon alone
Till the last unholy mourner 
Exits the viewing 
And slips out of sight.

Ghouls gather on my front porch and wail,
Knock-knocking like they’re driving a nail through the door;
A summons I’m inclined to ignore.
Fair princess swirls her cloak in the mist.
Court jester with a rock in his fist calls my name.
He’s got a proposition to make.
It’s been decades since my trip to the Lake…

…mad foolishness one wild autumn night,
Glass shattered and a sliver sliced right through her vein.
I dumped her corpse in Lake Pontchartrain.
These children think I’m selfish and mean.
I’d just as soon forget Halloween, but I swear
That jester’s made a fatal mistake;
He’ll be going on a trip to the Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment